[Orgmode] Feature request [7.3]

From: Dave Abrahams
Subject: [Orgmode] Feature request [7.3]
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 15:59:18 -0500

When using Org for planning, I often find myself corrupting my Org
files.  All kinds of things can go wrong, but the basic issue is that
agenda items have a syntax, and it's easy to violate, especially when
I'm going *fast*, which after all is what Org is supposed to enable!

For example, a typical captured item looks like:

** TODO Set up yasnippet
   SCHEDULED: <2010-11-22 Mon>
   :PROPERTIES:
   :Link: [[some-nasty-link]]
   :ID:       A0B4159C-D796-40DF-9ADD-93DF03577B68
   :END:
   [2010-11-20 Sat 20:17]

Now, suppose I'm looking at this in the agenda and I want to add some
commentary.  Where should I open the new line?  If I choose wrongly, my
agenda will start to misbehave (e.g. items will appear to be
un-reschedulable because they'll acquire a second SCHEDULED date).

So I'm requesting some more help from Org in maintaining proper Org
syntax.  Could Org have a mode that prevents things from being modified
incorrectly?  For example, it'd be awesome if dates were smart (TAB into
one, hit return, get a smart date editor).  It'd be great if there were
a way to make the ID property read-only (or really really hard to
change).  I'd love it if there were a way to create a link to an org
item that narrows the view to just that item, so I don't inadvertently
mess anything else up.  Do you get the idea?

Thanks for listening,

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing