[Orgmode] Encoded slashes in capture protocol URIs (via Chromium)

From: Edward Lilley
Subject: [Orgmode] Encoded slashes in capture protocol URIs (via Chromium)
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2010 14:23:55 +0000

I've just had quite a bit of trouble setting up org capture protocol
handling with the Chromium web browser.

Using the Javascript function encodeURIComponent() replaces slashes with
a %2F, as expected; the problem is then that xdg-open fails to open URIs
containing %2F. Eventually I realised that xdg-open *can* accept a %2F,
but *only* if it comes after a "?" in the URI.

So, as an ugly hack, I set the identifying character for the org-capture
template that handles my bookmarks to be a "?"; this way, any occurrence
of %2F will come after a "?", so xdg-open won't complain!

So the bookmarklet (attached to the F4 key in chromium, using the
"yakshave" extension" looks like this:

yak.bindings.add({
    '<f4>': {
        onkeydown: function(event) {
        eval('location.href="org-protocol:/capture:/?/" +
        encodeURIComponent(location.href) + "/" +
        encodeURIComponent(document.title) + "/" +
        encodeURIComponent(window.getSelection());');
        }
    }
});

Of course this is basically a horrible hack; but it might help some of
you out very slightly!

--
Edward Lilley <address@hidden>
http://www.ugnus.uk.eu.org/~edward/