[Orgmode] Re: [Babel] Need for an extra literal block construct

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: [Babel] Need for an extra literal block construct
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 00:13:01 +0100

Hi Eric,

"Eric Schulte" wrote:
> Sébastien Vauban <address@hidden> writes:
>> *Same for PDF*: the lists in the VERSE environment are interpreted.
>> So are the CODE inlined words (delimited by =equal= signs).
>>
>> - Bug, or
>> - on purpose?
>
> I believe that this is on purpose,

I'd like to have an "official" answer on this, because I really would have
thought the contrary.

> otherwise I don't see why verse would be any different from example.

Of course, that's kinda true but...

> I think of verse as a quote where newlines are enforced (making it good for
> mail because you don't end up with ">"s stacked in the middle of your
> paragraphs)

if the above behavior is wanted, then I cannot use VERSE for mails. Because it
will corrupt the email layout in both HTML and PDF (for example, in passages
of the email that would not be prefixed by >).

> I think you may want to look at org-exp-blocks.el, it allows extensible
> block syntax so that a user can define his/her own types and how they will
> be exported.

Rigth point. I did not think anymore of that one. Though, I would like all my
documents (even with cited emails) to be compilable by anybody, in both HTML
and PDF, without requiring a special customization in the .emacs file, in the
CSS or in the LaTeX classes). Hence, I really would like avoiding to introduce
my own "tags".

> This would be useful for custom export of the proposed future babel results
> block (which I promise I'll implement soon).

I don't wanna hurry you on this. If I plugged this post to that old thread,
it's because they really are (more than) related to each other.

Of course, I'll be excited to try and use what you will produce in that
direction, but you can spend time first on more important things (if

BTW, once you will have implemented that, I will be able to use QUOTE for
email passages, and your new environment will be compilable without requiring
any custom add-on. So, that should answer fully this.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,
  Seb

--