[Orgmode] Re: [Babel] now understands org-mode lists

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: [Babel] now understands org-mode lists
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 18:20:23 -0700

Jambunathan K <address@hidden> writes:

>> "Eric Schulte" <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've just pushed up a small commit (including minimal documentation)
>>> which teaches code blocks how to read and write Org-mode lists.  The
>>> following example should demonstrate the new behavior.
>>>

>>> #+results: a-list
>>> - org-mode
>>> - and
>>> - babel
>>>

>>> #+source: a-list
>>> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :var lst=a-list :results list
>>>   (reverse lst)
>>> #+end_src
>>>

>> Why not call the underlying type an 'orglist'. One can for example think
>> of orgpropeties etc etc.
>>
>> Btw, for the sake of illustration, how would one convert a numbered list
>> to an alphabetical list or an unordered list. Convert some thing like
>>
>> 1. One
>>    1. OneOne
>> 3. Two
>> 4. Three

>> - One
>>   - One
>> - Two
>> - Three
>>
>> or
>>
>> 1. One
>>    1.1 OneOne
>> 2. Two
>> 3. Three
>>
>> C-c C-c on a list currently renumbers the list which I find quite
>> useful. May be there is a way to 'rebind' it so that it not only
>> renumbers but renumbers with a different style (that the user is
>> comfortable with). Think 'replace-region' for example.
>>

> Let's say one wants to number the lists using prime numbers.

is this possible with normal Org-mode lists?  I thought that numbered
lists automatically re-numbered themselves.

> So one could have two lists.
>
> # list1 (may be generated programmatically)
>
> 1. 2
> 2. 3
> 3. 5
> 4. 7
> 5. 11
> 6. 13
>

> # list2 (user-typed)
> 1. Carsten
> 2. Bastien
> 3. Eric Schulte
> 4. Dan Davison
> 5. Eric S Faga
> 6. Samuel Wales
>
> and juxtapose them together to get a custom numbering as follows
>
> 2. Carsten
> 3. Bastien
> 5. Eric Schulte
> 7. Dan Davison
> 11. Eric S Faga
> 13. Samuel Wales

This seems like a problem more suited to tables.  Lists are inherently
one dimensional and the problem you pose is inherently two dimensional.

> All this with a C-c C-c on list2.
>
> What this example does is essentially relate a 'list of styles' to a
> 'list of text elements' and create a 'custom-styled list'.

I see what you're getting at, but rather than develop towards the most
complex conceivable use-case I prefer to keep things simple, only
introducing complexity when it seems "natural" and generally useful.  I
find that taking such a stingy approach to development tends to result
in simpler more maintainable code.

-- Eric