[Orgmode] Re: Enhancing the Org/Gnus experience

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Enhancing the Org/Gnus experience
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2010 13:58:13 +0100

Hi Eric,

Eric S Fraga wrote:
> Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Definitely not working then!  This comes out as simple text in gnus
>>> and doesn't look at all like it would in an org buffer for me.
>>
>> Hm, for me it's shown the same as verbatim blocks or stuff like
>
> Just to update you all.  I found the problem and it had nothing to do
> with either gnus or org!  The problem was that I had the following in my
> font-lock-mode-hook:
>
> : (show-ws-highlight-trailing-whitespace)
>
> This seemed to wipe out all other font locking information in gnus.

Funny. I have this -- a lot in comments! -- in my .emacs file:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
      ;; highlight trailing whitespaces in all modes
      (setq-default show-trailing-whitespace t)

      ;; ;; FIXME When turned on, Gnus becomes black and white only...
      ;; ;;*** show-wspace (emacs-goodies-el)
      ;; (when (try-require 'show-wspace)
      ;;   ;; Highlight tabs
      ;;   (add-hook 'font-lock-mode-hook 'show-ws-highlight-tabs)
      ;;
      ;;   ;; Highlight trailing whitespace
      ;;   (add-hook 'font-lock-mode-hook
'show-ws-highlight-trailing-whitespace)
      ;;
      ;;   ;; Highlight non-breaking spaces
      ;;   (add-hook 'font-lock-mode-hook 'show-ws-highlight-hard-spaces))

      ;; FIXME Same problem as above
      ;; ;; highlight tabs in all modes
      ;; (add-hook 'font-lock-mode-hook
      ;;           '(lambda ()
      ;;              (font-lock-add-keywords
      ;;               nil
      ;;               '(("\t" 0 'trailing-whitespace prepend)))))

      ;; ;; show zero-width spaces
      ;; (font-lock-add-keywords
      ;;  nil
      ;;  `((,(format "\\(%c\\)" ?\u200b) ; #\ZERO_WIDTH_SPACE
      ;;     (1 (progn (compose-region (match-beginning 1) (match-end 1)
      ;;                               ?\u2b1b ; #\BLACK_LARGE_SQUARE
      ;;                               'decompose-region)
      ;;               nil)))))
#+end_src

Hence, the same observation as yours regarding Gnus. I think I once asked help
on the Emacs and Gnus newsgroups, but the answer is very low there, and I
never got anybody even confirming it...

> Whether this is a problem with the whitespace highlighting codes or
> within gnus, I don't know but I can live without trailing spaces being
> highlighted!

Though, I do have highlight of trailing whitespaces. The first 2 lines must be
it.

> Apologies for all the noise and thanks to all that tried to help me!

You're welcome. And... then... what's your impression? ;-)

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban