Re: [Orgmode] [patch] two bugs: one with comments and with exporting inl

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [patch] two bugs: one with comments and with exporting inline tasks
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 16:17:12 +0000

>> Argghhhhh! Not sure why this is happening.
>
> You need to (require 'org-inlinetask) before trying to export.

d'oh.  of course.  <blush>

doing this now makes exporting work fine, with emacs -Q and loading the
right org modules, of course.

Annoyingly, now it works just fine with my configuration.  Maybe
something left over in the existing emacs that I have been using all
day...  sorry for the noise!

In terms of what to actually do with inline tasks on export, what I
would love to see would be to have an inline task converted to a
footnote with a marginpar note, along the lines of:

#+begin_src org
***************************** TODO figure out why this doesn't work
Some text in the body of the inline task.
***************************** END
#+end_src

being converted to, say:

#+begin_src latex
\footnote{\textbf{<<headline text>>}: <<body
text>>}\marginpar{\fbox{\thefootnote}}
#+end_src

i.e. where <<headline text>> would be replaced by "TODO figure out why
this doesn't work" and <<body text>> by all the text between the ******
lines.  This is roughly the type of construct I use when I annotate
latex documents directly.  What do you think?

We could make this a two argument latex function:

#+begin_src latex
\newcommand{\processinlinetask}[2]{%
\footnote{\textbf{#1}: #2}\marginpar{\fbox{\thefootnote}}%
}
#+end_src

which is defined in the org latex preamble and which a user could
customise through =\renewcommand= if desired (or through an org emacs
variable, of course).  It would be invoked as

#+begin_src latex
\processinlinetask{<<headline text>>}{<<body text>>}
#+end_src

We'd have to escape {}s maybe and it could be
somewhat fragile if there are multiple paragraphs in the inline body
text...

For HTML, you could convert to end notes maybe or some type of box
inline with the text... (well, customisable by the user through CSS I
guess)

Thanks,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 23.2.1
: using Org-mode version 7.02trans (release_7.3.18.g3818.dirty)