[Orgmode] Extended-period events in agenda views

From: Konrad Hinsen
Subject: [Orgmode] Extended-period events in agenda views
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 12:32:38 +0100

Hello all,

I have been a happy org-mode user for a while, using more and more of org-mode for more and more things. By now I have completely replaced my use of iCal (on the Mac) by the org-mode agenda, with no regrets. However, there is one feature that I am still trying to get into my agenda view, but I didn't find a way to do it yet.

There are a couple of long-lasting "events" that I would like to show in my agenda view. A typical example would be school vacation periods, but there are others: absences of a colleague, availability of some instrument, etc, Their common feature is that they can last very long (several weeks) and that they don't really occupy my agenda. I just want to know when planning something if a given day is in period X or not. So I'd like to see at a glance (using a specific font, color, one- letter prefix etc.) if a day falls into a certain predefined period. Simply adding a corresponding event to my agenda leads to visual clutter: it gets marked on every single day of the period.

Is there any way to get what I am looking for?

Thanks in advance,
  Konrad.