Re: [Orgmode] Re: epresent and Org-mode: using Emacs to run presentation

From: Scot Becker
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: epresent and Org-mode: using Emacs to run presentations of Org-mode docs
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 21:16:38 +0100

Eric,

This is cool and very useful.  Thanks.

This must be Zeitgeist-y because I was thinking about preparing presentations in Emacs this week.  Then I saw slidy, now this and s5.

Here's a further idea, to see what people think.  Do you think it would be possible to make a temporary org-mode display configuration to display org-mode-written presentations (similar to epresent) without leaving org mode, and leaving the displayed slides editable?

I once saw a video of someone doing a live presentation on something Emacs-y and he did the presentation by typing headlines, lists and detail in a clean Emacs buffer as he went along, similar to the way that some teachers might write out subject headings or outlines on the chalkboard or overhead projector as they lecture.  I liked this a lot. As I see it, for less formal presentation situations, it lets you annotate and record class discussions discussions.  It also lets the talk proceed in a less scripted manner:  you can for example re-work the problem on the fly according to the way the group has defined it in the moment, not only according to the way you planned it at home.

But doing it on the fly means that you don't have any of the advantages of typical slide-style presentations: an outline to prompt you, important figures, tables and visuals already there, links, detail, and the rest, pre-assembled.

I've wondered whether org mode might not be a nice vehicle to combine these things.  For example, you create your script (just like in Eric's 'present.org'), but instead of showing in a custom display mode, you actually tweak the display parameters of org-mode itself to look slide-like (no stars, bigger fonts for titles, invisible /markup characters/, etc.), and then display the slides by displaying each top level subtree in a narrowed buffer one at a time.  You add key bindings for moving back and forth, even perhaps a temporary minor mode for single key frame navigation that you could go in and out of (vi-like, I suppose).

This way you'd be in (a slightly modified) org mode all the time, and could edit as you go, using all the structural features of org mode, and at the end you'd have a neat record of the way the lecture actually went, that you could distribute as you wish.

Can anyone think why this might not be doable?

Scot

2010/10/28 Łukasz Stelmach <address@hidden>
"Eric Schulte" <address@hidden> writes:

> Phil Hagelberg recently introduced me to epresent.el by Tom Tromey.
> It's a very nice little utility for giving presentations using Emacs as
> the display engine.
[...]
> http://github.com/eschulte/epresent
> (instructions in the README)

I am preparing a talk about org-mode. I've decided to use org-s5 but
I'm starting to hesitate :-)

--
Miłego dnia,
Łukasz Stelmach