[Orgmode] Re: Org now fontifies code blocks

From: Dan Davison
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Org now fontifies code blocks
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 14:35:04 +0100

Jambunathan K <address@hidden> writes:

> Jules Bean <address@hidden> writes:
>

>>> Hi Tom,
>>>
>>> I've used fontification in Org code blocks constantly for a couple of
>>> months now, and I do not agree that there are any editing or unfolding
>>> delays which should deter typical Org users from using fontified src
>>> blocks. In typical usage I do not experience any delays whatsoever (my
>>> blocks tend to be fewer than 100 lines in length).
>>>

>> Is Tom perhaps using OSX? I found absurd fontification delays on OSX
>> for various things (*clock task select* was the worst, IIRC) until
>> somebody advised me to (setq font-lock-verbose nil), and that fixed it
>> completely.

Thanks Jules. I think I must have read the same advice, and now that you
mention it, I have that set to nil in my .emacs.org. I do see Tom's
messages when I set it to t. Hopefully setting to nil results in a
speed-up in OSX?

>> I don't think it's the actual fontification that's slow, I think it's
>> the (message) that is telling you what it's doing.

Hi Jambunathan,

> I wonder whether fontification messages are relics of the age long past
> when they served as modern equivalents of progress bars.

I think you may be right.

> ,----[ C-h v font-lock-verbose RET ]
> | font-lock-verbose is a variable defined in `font-lock.el'.
> | Its value is 0
> |
> | Documentation:
> | If non-nil, means show status messages for buffer fontification.
> | If a number, only buffers greater than this size have fontification
> messages.
> |
> | You can customize this variable.
> |
> | [back]
> `----
>
> Perhaps Emacs maintainers would be willing to change the default setting
> of this variable.

That sounds like a sensible suggestion.

Dan