[Orgmode] Re: General question on dealing with Latex to word conversion

From: Marvin Doyley
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: General question on dealing with Latex to word conversion
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 16:45:01 -0400

Hi Jambunathan,

This would be wonderful, I will keep a watch for the announcement.

Rewriting the equations shouldn't be a major problem

Best

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 2:42 PM, Jambunathan K <address@hidden> wrote:

Hello Marvin

> Org mode is now a part of my daily work-flow, not only do I use it for
> teaching, scheduling my time, but I also use it to store my research notes.
> The only snag is several of my collaborators is tied to microsoft word, and
> thus my only work around is to  export my notes and draft from Org to plain
> text and then reformat everything in word, which real time sync., especially
> when I have to retype equations in Mathtype.

I am currently working on a converter that converts directly from
Orgmode to OpenDocumentText (.odt). It is likely to take another 1-2
months before I get a preview version out.

Please watch out for announcement in this list.

Looks like you are particularly interested in reproducing Math
equations. At this stage, it is not clear to me how I would support
equations. Since the converter is built from HTML exporter it would
handle the equations just the way HTML exporter handles equations.

For now, AFAICS, people either resort to

1. Orgmode->HTML->OpenOffice
2. Orgmode->Docbook->Openoffice

Have you tried any of (1) and (2). What are your observations
particularly wrt equations?

> I know there are bunch of commercial software that claim to be able to
> convert latex files to word, but most are far from perfect. Is there a
> more efficient way of tacking this problem ?  Is there is any plans of
> developing a org-export-rtf or org-export-docx function ?

Jambunathan K.