Re: [Orgmode] Re: struggling with simple indentation

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: struggling with simple indentation
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 15:12:58 +0200

> I think it would be OK to modify the indentation code to do the most
> useful thing in this case, which is indenting to under the list.  Is
> is OK to put the burden for terminating list by indentation on the
> user.

I fear that by doing this modification, we're letting in again a
dreadful bug. Let me explain it.

This is not the most useful thing in this case, but the most
conservative one. This is needed when you want to correct indentation
of a region (or the whole buffer). If we turn the behavior the other
way, indenting the buffer will ruin parts of it, like before, as any
text beyond a list would go inside its last item, regardless of text
position.

And this is worse than having to cope with some rectangle selection,
because it would modify parts of buffer outside user's view. With the
current behavior, what's in stays in, and what's out stays out.

Another idea would be to slightly modify `org-paste-special' and
`org-yank' so anything yanked inside a list is automatically put
inside the item at point. The exact behavior of this has yet to be
defined, though.

Regards,

-- Nicolas