Re: [Orgmode] bug? org does not seem to sort by prioritiy #A, #B, #C, #D

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] bug? org does not seem to sort by prioritiy #A, #B, #C, #D
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 19:38:19 +0200

On Oct 21, 2010, at 2:41 PM, Greg Troxel wrote:

On Oct 21, 2010, at 10:52 AM, Rainer Stengele wrote:

My guessing is that a naive user (like me ...) does expect any
defined priority (like #D in this case) to have a higher priority
than a "non" priority item.

I see how that makes sense.  However, the other use case is this:

Use #A to make something higher priority.  Use #C to make it lower
than any normal stuff.  All the rest mingles in #B.

So your proposal makes the assumption that any priority means more
than no priority.

The default aBc settings were easily understandable to me and I use A to
mark things high and C low and leave most things in the middle.

So maybe all that's needed is a "You might expect tasks with an explicit
priority to all be considered higher priority than tasks without an
explicit priority, but in fact unlabeled tasks inherit the default
priority."  Or maybe that's redundant.

I just re-read the manual section.  As far as I can see, all necessary
information is there.

- Carsten