Re: [Orgmode] Difference between org-footnote.el and footnote.el

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Difference between org-footnote.el and footnote.el
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 11:38:31 +0200

Andreas Röhler <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Andreas,

>> Oh, I was pretty sure that org-footnote.el is only a wrapper around
>> the original footnote.el that comes with emacs, but looking at the
>> code it seems to be a completely separate facility.
>>
>> It says to have "better support for resuming editing" than
>> footnote.el but be less configurable.  Can someone enlighten my what
>> is meant with that better support for resuming editing?  I mean,
>> footnote.el already provides automatic renumbering which is the only
>> special feature I can imagine to be of great use when resuming to
>> edit a footnoted document...
>
> common footnote.el was never able to detect if a file opened has
> already footnote inside. Didn't check that for some month now...

Yes, I've just tried that.  Create a file with footnotes, save it, kill
the buffer, find it again, add another footnote, and it starts numbering
from [1] again.  Looks like a bug to me.  I'll report it...

> Also org-footnote implemented labeled footnotes, very useful to avoid
> clashes with forms like list[1]
>
> BTW suggest to replace the common footnote by the org's footnotes, remove the
> prefix then, leave some aliases in org-mode for backward-compatibility.

Well, I don't have a strong opinion on that.  But currently
org-footnote.el is not very good when writing mails, because it places
footnotes at the end of a buffer.  If there's a signature, then
footnotes are in that and likely to be removed by people replying to
your mail.

Bye,
Tassilo