[Orgmode] Re: [Babel] Small problem with tangling

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: [Babel] Small problem with tangling
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 17:01:43 +0200

Hi Eric,

"Eric Schulte" wrote:
> Sébastien Vauban <address@hidden> writes:
>>>
>>> The following inhibits the insertion of blank lines on tangling.
>>>
>>>   (setq org-babel-tangle-pad-newline nil)
>>
>> Of course, that does work as expected. Thanks for the tip.
>>
>> Another side-question about a little annoyance: when having just one src
>> block to tangle in a big file, and when tangling it, Org(-Babel?) does
>> first add IDs everywhere in my file, one for every section.
>>
>> Could we get rid of that? I don't even understand why one would be needed,
>> though I could easily "accept" (;-)) to see an ID created in the sections
>> containing elements to tangle.
>
> This is caused by the tangling code calling `org-store-link' on every code
> block, which is useful because we sometimes want to store links in the
> tangled code for jumping back from the code to the relevant place in the
> original org-mode file.

I understand the need for creating links automatically to sections which host
code blocks.

However, I don't understand that tangling the *only* code block I have in an
entire Org file does add ID in *every* section. Shouldn't it be limited to
sections hosting code blocks in general (in particular, IMHO, it should even
be limited to the only sections that contain blocks to *tangle*)?

> `org-store-link' is called interactively, and it will insert ID values
> according to the value of `org-link-to-org-use-id', which defaults to
> `create-if-interactive-and-no-custom-id'. I suppose you could change the
> value of this variable which should avoid the insertion of custom IDs.

I have the same value as you.

I could try every of them, but -- from the doc -- I don't see any better
option for this. I want IDs to be created!  It's only I'd like them to be
created for sections that need it...

Best regards,
  Seb

--