[Orgmode] full production use of org-mode: time to say thanks again!

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: [Orgmode] full production use of org-mode: time to say thanks again!
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2010 11:46:22 +0100

Hi,

I have spent the last 2 months (or more) working on a serious project
proposal which required the production of a 30+ page document,
including tables, figures, footnotes and cross-references.  The
preparation required working with 20+ people and managing a large
number of tasks.  I used org for the whole process and for the
creation of the actual document.

I just want to say *thanks* to all (Carsten, of course, but also all
the others that have contributed to org and babel) as it made the
whole process as painless as something like this can be!

I used the following features:

- outlining, obviously!  very necessary as the document had a
  pre-defined structure imposed by an external party.
- todo items, including in-line todos [1].
- babel for figures and some in-line calculations
- exporting, including to HTML (for conversion to Word via OOo) for
  allowing colleagues to edit text and to PDF for the actual delivery
  of the document (with very strict page formatting requirements).
- version control, obviously, but not part of org, of course

Everything worked (except for maybe the texi2dvi blip in the past few
days) and did so incredibly smoothly!  Org didn't get in the way and I
could really concentrate on the content instead of the formatting
etc.  Brilliant!

As an aside, I also had to prepare a new set of lecture slides for a
course I teach.  I used org, of course, with beamer support.  Again,
everything worked well.  What was particularly nice this time was that
this particular course requires showing Octave code and the outputs of
such code.  Babel, in combination with the listings latex package, is
an ideal tool for this!  My slides look (in my obviously biased
opinion) incredibly professional.

So, thanks all!

eric

PS - I now need to sleep for the next month or two... ;-)

Footnotes:
[1]  If I have one niggle to report it is that indenting text after an
     in-line todo doesn't seem to work properly: it indents any
     subsequent paragraphs much too far, lining up with the headline
     text for the in-line todo.  This seems conceptually wrong to me.
     Not a big deal, mind you.

--
Eric S Fraga
GnuPG: 8F5C 279D 3907 E14A 5C29  570D C891 93D8 FFFC F67D