Re: [Orgmode] arranging and publishing music with Org-mode and lilypond

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] arranging and publishing music with Org-mode and lilypond
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2010 21:31:49 -0500

On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 8:24 PM, T.F. Torrey <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,

> From: Stefan Vollmar <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2010 00:26:39 +0200
> Subject: [Orgmode] arranging and publishing music with Org-mode and lilypond
> Sender: emacs-orgmode-bounces+tftorrey=tftorrey.com@gnu.org
>
> Dear all,
>
> I believe that many members of this list with an interest in music (notation/composition) might find the http://lilypond.org project "addictive" (in the nicest possible manner): the concept is rather similar to writing TeX, there is very good Emacs support (if you know where to look), it is all OpenSource, there is extensive documentation (in LaTeX format with embedded lilypond snippets), the print quality is excellent.
>
> I mention this because while arranging some piece of music recently, I noticed that Org-mode might be helpful in this context - it is probably already possible by tweaking org-babel a bit: lilypond encourages the user to structure music in a way that lends itself rather naturally to processing with Org-mode - you can assign a theme, a few bar with notes or even whole voices to variables and use them repeatedly. And imagine using Org-mode's outline capabilities to structure a piece of music. Exporting an org-file with lilypond-snippets in it to PDF or HTML might also be an interesting option.
>
> I have not yet put any effort into it and just wanted to find out if anybody apart from me finds the combination of Org-mode and lilypond (potentially) exciting.

I think this is very exciting.

Agreed! I've used Lilypond before and it's awesome. It's pretty much as cool as LaTeX in my opinion. Write some text, export and holy crap you've got magically beautiful sheet music! I had not thought of Org-mode integration, but that would indeed be quite nifty.

John

Best regards,
Terry