[Orgmode] Re: Having (too) many files in org-agenda-files

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Having (too) many files in org-agenda-files
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 13:53:00 +0200

Hi,

Carsten Dominik wrote:
> On Sep 30, 2010, at 12:20 AM, Sébastien Vauban wrote:
>> Carsten Dominik wrote:

>>> Still bad though. I am wondering what is causing the fontification
>>> message. I do not get this, so it must be something in your setup. You
>>> should try to find out when this is happening and why.
>>
>> You've seen, from my reply to Matt, why my *Messages* buffer is more
>> verbose than yours. It's on purpose, just to be able to figure out more
>> easily what's going on. Though, I don't have yet...
>>
>>> Also, you might consider to remove (org-agenda-list) from .emacs. I think
>>> it is pretty much always a bad idea to put a command like this into your
>>> startup. Just make it a habit to call it early after starting Emacs.
>>
>> Honestly, that would not change that much. Having to wait 92 seconds at
>> startup, or a long time just a few minutes later has the same impact for
>> me. And: don't try to make me stop using Org ;-))
>
> :-)
>
> The reason why I am suggesting to remove this command is more that it make
> emacs more usable for command line usage etc.

Not convinced yet ;-)

For command-line Emacs, either I use emacsclient or emacs without my config
file, so that's not the problem there.

And the fact is I need my agenda quite early in the process (after firing up
Emacs).

> Furthermore, you are adding quite a bit to font-lock, but I don't see why it
> should be so slow.

Does someone know if the way I use column-marker and the highlighting some
keywords is wrong?

> My Emacs starts up in 4 seconds at most. When I create an agenda, I am
> talking 1 second to maybe 2. I have about 10 files contributing to the
> agenda.

I would love such figures.

> [...]
>> ;; major modes derived from them
>> (dolist (hook '(c++-mode-hook c-mode-hook change-log-mode-hook cperl-
>> mode-hook css-mode-hook
>>                emacs-lisp-mode-hook
>>                html-mode-hook
>>                java-mode-hook
>>                latex-mode-hook lisp-mode-hook
>>                makefile-mode-hook message-mode-hook
>>                php-mode-hook python-mode-hook
>>                sh-mode-hook shell-mode-hook ssh-config-mode-hook))
>>  (add-hook hook 'fontify-keywords))
>>
>> The goal is to highlight words such as FIXME, WARNING, XXX, TODO in as many
>> files as possible.
>>
>> For Org, a small custom (of the custom) is done in order not to catch all
>> TODO words: the TODO words in headlines (i.e., preceded by `* ') are *not*
>> highlighted.
>>
>> They are well highlighted when found in other portions of (normal) text.
>>
>> Other custom:

>> ;; highlight columns 78 to 80 in some modes
>> (when (try-require 'column-marker)
>>  (dolist (hook '(emacs-lisp-mode-hook
>>                  cperl-mode-hook
>>                  shell-mode-hook
>>                  text-mode-hook
>>                  change-log-mode-hook
>>                  makefile-mode-hook
>>                  message-mode-hook
>>                  texinfo-mode-hook))
>>    (add-hook hook (lambda ()
>>                     (interactive)
>>                     (column-marker-1 78)
>>                     (column-marker-2 79)
>>                     (column-marker-3 80))))
>>
>> for getting markers in columns 78 to 80, showing me I'm good for a `M-q'...
>>
>> I've done multiple tests, now:
>>
>> - with none of the 2 above sets of customs
>> - with the 1st custom disabled, and the column-marker one enabled
>> - with both enabled
>>
>> Times observed (in seconds):
>>
>> |      | no highlight | column marker only | all highlights |
>> |------+--------------+--------------------+----------------|
>> |      |           63 |                 82 |             91 |
>> |      |           65 |                 84 |             96 |
>> |      |           76 |                100 |            130 |
>> |------+--------------+--------------------+----------------|
>> | mean |           68 |                 89 |            106 |
>>
>> (note that times are really not that stable, while I always launched Emacs
>> in the same conditions, without doing anything else during that time!)
>>
>> So, the above 2 sets of customs have a real impact on the load time.
>>
>> But I'm still unsure how I have to change all of the above snippets of
>> code, in order to keep the same functionality, but without the time delays
>> when Emacs starts up...
>>

>>> Hope some of this helps. If not, let me see you full configuration - maybe
>>> I can spot something else.
>>
>> My .emacs file is there:
>>
>> http://www.mygooglest.com/sva/emacs-init-sva.el
>>
>> Though it's well documented, it's not a tiny one... But very well
>> structured, so quite easy to find stuff related to each other.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban