Re: [Orgmode] How do I convert org to OpenOffice?

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] How do I convert org to OpenOffice?
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 16:59:42 -0400

Charles Philip Chan <address@hidden> wrote:

> Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > It is not just one file and afaik, *none* of it is written in
> > Perl. Some of it is C, some of it is TeX, some of it is Java
> > (apparently: I haven't looked at tex4ht for some years and I don't
> > remember any Java in there before, but there is some now), a large
> > amount is just text config files.
>
> I didn't take a look at the code, but mk4ht is written in perl:
>
> ,----
> | ls -la /usr/share/texmf/bin/noarch/mk4ht
> | lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 47 2010-09-07 02:10 /usr/share/texmf/bin/noarch/mk=
> 4ht -> ../../../../share/texmf/scripts/tex4ht/mk4ht.pl
> `----

Oh, OK, I stand corrected: there is *one* Perl file in there. The rest
is as I described it, except that there's also a ton of shell
scripts. This in particular is perhaps a little worrisome for Win32,
unless one is running cygwin. Not sure whether Vitton's notes address
this.

In any case, without much supporting evidence[1], I'd say that if you
are trying to get to OpenOffice this way, the road is probably paved
with thorns.

Nick

[1] I just tried a simple org->latex->oo transformation on Ubuntu 8.10,
with the default tex4ht distribution for this platform that synaptic
gave me: I tried for a few minutes without success. But I am a complete
ignoramus as far as OO goes, so it may very well have been my error.