Re: [Orgmode] Re: [babel] FEATURE REQUEST: send results into file

From: Rainer M Krug
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: [babel] FEATURE REQUEST: send results into file
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 12:24:19 +0200

2010/9/29 Sébastien Vauban <address@hidden>
Hi Rainer,

Rainer M Krug wrote:
> Based on a discussion in the thread "Problem with PROPERTIES :OPTIONS: when
> exporting subtree", The idea came ub by Mathew Lundin to be able to "send
> the results or a source code block (either executed code or exported org
> snippets) via babel to a target in an external file.".
>
> The scenario or context in which the idea came up:
>
> I am using org babel for literate programming and I document my parameters
> for simulations in a table in org. Now when writing a paper, for which I use
> a different program (I use LyX), but I still would like to include the
> tables from my original org file in them. Therefore I was looking for a
> possibility to export ONLY the table into a .tex file, so that it can be
> included in the LyX / LaTeX via \input{theTable.tex} . Therefore I would
> need an export of the table in LaTeX format, but no preamble or anything.

*Side question*, because this is quite important, I think: why are you still
using LyX directly?

Because it is easier for me? Don't get me wrong - I really like org mode and org babel - I can not imagine working without them (wait - I did that until about a year ago...). But for writing papers for publication, other tools are more suitable FOR ME: These papers do not include any literate programming and no to be executed code, and I really like the interface of LyX for writing. More even then a text editor for LaTeX (however advanced or not it may be), it does what it is supposed to be doing: to let me concentrate on the contents of the paper. But as I said, that is my personal opinion, and others might prefer other approaches.

For my literate programming needs, I've been able to completely forget about
my past ways to do:

- Nuweb (in MS Windows) extensions to LaTeX
- Noweb (in Linux) extensions to LaTeX

and switch, with much more benefits, to Org-only files.

Yes - concerning programming, literate programming, documenting the source code, etc., org mode with org-babel is PERFECT.

What is stopping you from being able to do so?

As I said - org is getting close to being a swiss army knife, but I tried to open a bottle with it and my screen broke - so I still use a bottle opener for that...

That root cause should be fixed, IMHO -- if doable, of course...

> As far as I was told, this possibility does not exist in org.

If I understand correctly, this is, indeed, the difficulty Eric exposed us,
when I was working on the isodoc letter (trying to convert Org blocks to
LaTeX, and get everything assembled upon exporting).

Effectively, yes - except that the org block converted to LaTeX should be available in files, which can be used from other programs as well.

Cheers,

Rainer

Best regards,
 Seb