Re: [Orgmode] ELPA

From: Scot Becker
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] ELPA
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 21:43:39 +0100

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 6:48 PM, Eric Schulte <address@hidden> wrote:
> I don't think it makes sense to use ELPA to re-distribute the version of
> Org-mode which users already have installed as part of their Emacs
> install.  Un-installing the bleeding edge Org-mode would be equivalent
> to downgrading to the Emacs version.

Sure that doesn't make sense, but remember that Emacs development
protocol is very conservative, and requires included packages to stop
all changes except bug fixes long in advance of new Emacs releases,
for stability.  This typically has had the result that an Emacs
version is released with an org-mode version which is a good few
org-mode releases behind---even on the day the Emacs release becomes
official.  In that case it would never happen that ELPA would be
re-distributing the version already installed with Emacs.  The latest
org-mode release will always be an advance on what got from a stock
Emacs.  This means that if you think that there is a place for people
to run the latest org release (as opposed to the dev version), then,
it seems, there is a decent place in ELPA for it, or?