Re: [Orgmode] ELPA [WAS] Re: [PROPOSAL] Quick and easy installation inst

From: Scot Becker
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] ELPA [WAS] Re: [PROPOSAL] Quick and easy installation instructions
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 11:52:34 +0100

Dan,

I have no special expertise on this, but I'll hazzard an answer as a
simple ELPA user:

> Using ELPA does seem like an attractive route, especially if it
> (package.el) is going to be in Emacs24.

To me too, ELPA is a great idea.  It probably needs some perfecting,
but if it works for these purposes, we only help the perfecting by
encouraging it's use.

> - How much work would it take to put and maintain Org-mode on ELPA?

I'll let someone else answer that, but I'd be suprised if it couldn't
be automated.

> - Would it make sense to have two different packages available via ELPA,

To me, yes.  I like using git for the development tree, but I expect
that ELPA makes for a nice way for Windows users (and others who don't
want to or can't use git) to get the latest version easily (and
possibly even to downgrade if necessary).  The latest release version
is of course necessary as well, since using it is the main
recommendation to new users.

> - Will it be possible for the Org project to have control over the files

An excellent and important question.  We'd rather not be dependent on
personal intervention from others to update, especially the '-latest'
version.  And even for the releases, we'd probably be glad to see them
propagate to the repository pretty quickly.  (The current non-gnu ELPA
repo only updates every two weeks or so.  This is fine for many
projects, but probably not enough even for org-mode releases.)

> - Will ELPA be able to get the info files installed suitably?

In principle, yes.  ELPA does concern itself with both the load-path
and the info-path.

Scot