[Orgmode] Re: Windows installation with msysGit

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Windows installation with msysGit
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 21:11:31 +0200

Matthew Leifer <address@hidden> writes:
[...]

Thank you, but let me add a few remarks.

> 2. Run the program you have just downloaded (you need to be connected
> to the internet when you do this).  You'll be prompted for a few
> configuration options.  In most cases, the defaults will be fine.

If you can't connect to the internet, just use the full installer
instead.  If you're behind a proxy, setting the 'http_proxy' environment
variable in the shell will help (but likely not if the proxy requires
authentication).  Otherwise the netinstall is the better option in the
long run.

[...]
> For example, in my case, it is just /c/Users/Matt/emacs-22.3/bin
> and I would enter "set PATH=/c/Users/Matt/emacs-22.3/bin:$PATH" into
> the bash shell.  Note:  You'll have to do this every time you update
> org-mode unless you put it in the .bashrc file for the bash
> shell.  However, I was unable to determine where the bash shell that
> mysysGit installs expects this file to be.

It expects it in your home directory, which you enter with 'cd ~', just
do a 'vi .bashrc' there, the file will probably not exist.  But you
don't really need to do this if you edit the Makefile to reflect your
local installation:

# Name of your emacs binary
EMACS = /c/Users/Matt/emacs-22.3/bin/emacs

# Where local software is found
prefix = /c/Users/Matt/emacs-22.3/

# Where local lisp files go.
lispdir = $(prefix)/site-lisp/org

# Where info files go.
infodir = $(prefix)/info
<<<<<<

The only thing between you and a proper 'make install' is now a working
install-info program and maybe one or two others IIRC that don't come
with MSysGit, but MSys has them.  MSysGit modified some DLL from MSys,
so you can't have both versions in the same path... but they're
compatible enough so that you can just copy all missing executables from
a temporary MSys installation over to the MSYSGit bin/ directory.  This
will also provide a few other programs that are really useful with
Emacs, so I'd do that even when Git wasn't needed.  You need to
customize the exec-path to include the bin/ directory from MSysGit at a
very early position for this to work, since some Windows programs with
the same name might exist.

Achim.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld: