[Orgmode] Org-Mode as core-modul of an open-source Emacs-ERP

From: Anonymus
Subject: [Orgmode] Org-Mode as core-modul of an open-source Emacs-ERP
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 04:45:34 +0000 (UTC)

I recently discovered Emacs as a great tool for almost everything, not easily
accessible, but with incredible depth. I will have to fight the steep learning
curve for many more month to become something like a routine Auctex, ESS, ECB,
GNUS, ORG ... user, to name just a few.
However, the newcomers view is sometimes fresh and unconventional, and I would
like to present an idea I had after getting an overview of Emacs powers.

I'm interested in open source ERP (Enterprise Ressource Planning) software.
There is an emerging market for free ERP software services with great
potential,
since nowadays SAP, Oracle and Microsoft earn a lot of money with high licence
fees in this sector.
The most popular Open Source ERP is OpenERP (with quality-focussed fork
Tryton),
both written in Python as GUI-based Client Server (Web-)Applications on top of
a Postgres DB. OpenERP has a lot of quality problems, 500 modules but some are
just crap and don't even work. There is quit a lot of marketing going on, but
the software often cannot stand up to the hype.

The main modules of OpenERP are:
-CRM (Customer Relationship Management)
-Purchase
-Manufacturing
-Warehouse Management
-Project Management
-Accounting
-Human Resources

Now in Emacs, there is similar functionality (and much more of course):
-Accounting: Ledger
-Warehouse Management: Ledger (same double entry accounting principle)
-Project Management: TaskJuggler, Org
-CRM (Customer Relationship Management):Org, BBDB
-Human Resources: Org, BBDB
-Purchase ?
-Manufacturing ?

In addition, Emacs is one of the preferred tool for scientists, programmers and
writers. More or less all the Functions of a typical ERP can be realized with
Emacs, and many smart individuals merge all this power-modes to one incredibly
productive work environment.

What is missing (in my eyes) is something like an erp-minor-mode that glues the
scattered emacs modes together to an fully integrated ERP system, that works
out-of-the-box without weeks and month of websearching, downloading and
configuration. This could be called a "verticalization" of Emacs for the use as
an ERP software. erp-mode would need a completly new menu based on the ERP
functionality listed above, and it would be nice to have two flavors (something
like SuSi-ERP = 'Super Simple ERP' and xPro-ERP = 'Extreme Productivity ERP'),
the first with very reduced funcionality/keymap.

Org-Mode would of course be the core of an Emacs ERP, and it alone probably has
almost all the needed functionality. It has to be a client/server- application,
and collaboration is very important (version control).

USP would be extreme productivity, very stable environment, no vendor lock in
(textfiles) etc. Buisiness model is consulting, integration, customization,
training (!) and SaaS, like always.
Targetgroup would be small to medium companies and organizations which are
dominated by highly qualified personnal (IT, Research, Finance, Securities...),
all sectors where expert users (statisticans, programmers etc) could be early
adopters and multipliers.

I feel that Emacs/Org is an extremely good product with almost zero marketing
(just the opposite to some of the other products on the market). May be there
is just a little glue code necessary and one would have by far the best ERP
System
on the market, and people could start consulting-services/-companies around
Emacs-ERP/Org and actually earn money with it. Lots of money, like SAP-
consultants today.

Imagine a company where everybody, from the accountant to the analyst and
programmer uses emacs, some only 2%, others 80% of the functionality. extremely
productive and competitive, and all the knowledge is in the house.

Just my 2 cents (ok, 20 cents ....)