Re: [Orgmode] [WISH] ELPA repo for org-mode?

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [WISH] ELPA repo for org-mode?
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 00:38:26 +0200

Jambunathan K <address@hidden> writes:

> I think ELPA repository for orgmode-only packages (hosted where else but
> on worg) could be quite useful. The idea came up in emacs-devel [1].

AFAIU there are now three possible locations for Org extensions:

- the org-mode/contrib/lisp directory of Org's git repo
  http://repo.or.cz/w/org-mode.git/tree/HEAD:/contrib/lisp

  Those files are not included in Emacs, but are potential
  candidates for org-mode/lisp and later inclusion.

- ELPA itself -- nothing prevents orgers to submit their
  code there, if they follow the rules:
  http://tromey.com/elpa/upload.html

- the World Wide Web.

The www isn't a bad solution provided things are correctly
listed somewhere - e.g. http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/

But clearly the ELPA and the org-mode/contrib/lisp are better
place for people who want to explore systematically and keep up
with the latest versions of those extensions.

I can see four scenarios:

1) more goes to org-mode/contrib/lisp: this is okay, but requires
   more people to have write access to Org

2) have a separate Org contribs repo: then we can be more liberal
   with write access and let users have all extensions in one pull.

3) migrate as much Org extensions as possible to ELPA: I'm still
   trying to figure out what would be the consequences of this.

4) adopt OLGA (Org Lisp Gadget Archive) on orgmode.org: we would
   need to adapt package.el for a custom ELPA-like on orgmode.org
   but this is feasible.  The advantage of having OLGA separately
   from ELPA is that we might be more liberal about what extension
   is allowed there.

Of course, we can combine (2) and (4): have a git repos containing
Org extensions (those who are not officially part of Emacs/Org) and
this repo can feed our OLGA, so that users can *also* navigate and
update Org extensions thru OLGA.

What people think?

--
 Bastien