[Orgmode] Re: omitting done TODOs from custom agenda

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: omitting done TODOs from custom agenda
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 13:07:35 +0800

On Tue, Sep 14 2010, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 14 2010, Matt Lundin wrote:
>
>> Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> I'm having a bit of confusion: I've created my own TODO sequences with
>>> org-todo-keywords, in this case (sequence "CONTACT(n)" "REPLY(r)" "|"
>>> "CONTACTED(e@)"). Then I've got a custom agenda defined using
>>> org-agenda-custom-commands, where there's a weekly view on top and some
>>> TODO items below. When I start this agenda view, and mark one of the
>>> TODO items as CONTACTED, it doesn't disappear from the agenda view. It's
>>> very clearly marked as done in the original org file, but it stays in
>>> agenda. I've looked at all the extra variables for a custom agenda
>>> command, and there doesn't seem to be one that say "don't show completed
>>> items".
>>
>> A simple question: Are you refreshing the agenda after marking the item
>> done (i.e., CONTACTED)? Similarly, do the inactive items (i.e.,
>> CONTACTED) remain when you invoke the agenda view the again.
>>
>> Inactive todos do not disappear from the agenda until it is refreshed
>> (r).
>
> Hi Matt,
>
> Yup, I am refreshing the agenda with r, or usually g. In the agenda,
> when I first mark the item as done, the text of the heading turns green,
> but when I next refresh, the text turns back to black. These completed
> todos are still there even if I close the agenda and re-invoke it.
>

>>> These items are part of a tag-todo statment, where the selecting regexp
>>> is a tag, not a particular todo keyword, so I wouldn't think I've done
>>> anything to force it to display these todo keywords.
>>
>> Would you mind sharing your custom agenda command?
>
> Of course:
>
> '(org-agenda-custom-commands (quote (("c" "Agenda plus contacts"
> ((agenda "" nil) (tags-todo "TODO=\"CONTACT\"" nil) (tags-todo
> "TODO=\"REPLY\"" nil)) nil nil) ("g" "Get It Louder" ((agenda "" nil)
> (tags-todo "Gil" nil)) nil))))
>
> The problem occurs in both my "Agenda plus contacts" and "Get It
> Louder", so maybe it's something with my custom todos?
>
> (org-todo-keywords (quote ((sequence "TODO(t)" "WAITING(w@)" "|"
> "DONE(d)" "CANCELLED(c@)") (sequence "CONTACT(n)" "REPLY(r)" "|"
> "CONTACTED(e@)"))))

Looks like the problem here was that CONTACT is a substring of
CONTACTED—whatever function decides if a todo keyword is pending or
completed apparently just reads the string until it finds the first
match (?). I changed it to SENT and everything worked fine. Dunno if
that's worth considering a bug, but it's certainly surprising behavior.