[Orgmode] Re: [OT] Re: Include files to be used in literate programming

From: Dan Davison
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: [OT] Re: Include files to be used in literate programming
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 14:23:55 -0400

Jambunathan K <address@hidden> writes:

> Dan Davison <address@hidden> writes:
>
> [Warning: OT]
>
>>  tangling is not (technically at least) an Org-mode export method.
>
> This is an implementation artefact (as you have noted).
>
>>From a user-perspective tangling is a specialized form of export.

I think I agree with that. I wonder if it would be helpful to more
formally recognise tangling as a form of export. For example, in one of
the other threads, you were talking about selective tangling. If
tangling were treated as a form of export, presumably that would mean
that tangling would obey the tag-based selective export mechanisms
(variables org-export-select-tags and org-export-exclude-tags), and also
that #+INCLUDE would have the semantics expected by the OP.

[...]

> May be in coming days I should be able to make concrete, code-level
> suggestions on that would take my prayers further down in your altar
> :-).

I've certainly read your recent series of emails and the resulting
discussion. But of course time is the major limiting factor, and I
haven't yet managed to properly get my head round the various ideas that
have been discussed. Would you be able to provide a brief summary of the
series of emails? If you could identify one or a few core proposal(s)
and be explicit about exactly what changes in behaviour you're
suggesting, and whether they would be backwards compatible, that could
be very helpful.

Dan