[Orgmode] Re: org-babel matlab example

From: etimecowboy
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: org-babel matlab example
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 08:45:40 +0100 (BST)

From: Dan Davison <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: org-babel matlab example
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 12:23:17 -0400

> Dan Davison <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> etimecowboy <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Hi everybody,
>>>
>>> I am learning to use org-babel to evaluate in-line Matlab code block,
>>> but I cannot make it works when I press the "C-c C-c", nor "C-c C-v
>>> e".
>>
>> What happens when you try C-c C-c or C-c C-v e ? There is an issue with
>> matlab and octave: they return the value of the last /unassigned/
>> computation
>
> A better way to say this is: they return the value of the special
> variable "ans". So whatever you do, at the end of the block you need to
> ensure that "ans" has the value that you want returned.
>
> I've updated the Worg page on Matlab and Octave:
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-octave-matlab.php
>
> Dan
>

>>, so simply ending the code block with a variable name "x" is
>> not enough. Could you try one of the following schemes please, and let
>> us know if that solves it:
>>
>> #+begin_src matlab :exports results
>> n = [1:10];
>> x = 5*n+4;
>> ans = x
>> #+end_src
>>
>> #+begin_src matlab :exports results
>> n = [1:10];
>> x = 5*n+4;
>> x + 0
>> #+end_src
>>

>>> The export of code works, but the results was not there. My in-line code is
>>> like this:
>>
>> There was a little typo in your original block: the keyword is
>> ":exports" with an s.
>>
>> Dan
>>

>>> #+begin_src matlab :export results
>>> n = [1:10];
>>> x = 5*n+4;
>>> #+end_src
>>>
>>> Is there someone can provide me a working example? Thanks a lot.
>>>

>>> -----------------------------
>>>
>>> address@hidden
>>>
>>>       _.,----,._
>>>     .:'        `:.
>>>   .'              `.
>>>  .'                `.
>>>  :                  :
>>>  `    .'`':'`'`/    '
>>>   `.   \  |   /   ,'
>>>     \   \ |  /   /
>>>      `\_..,,.._/'
>>>       {`'-,_`'-}
>>>       {`'-,_`'-}
>>>       {`'-,_`'-}
>>>        `YXXXXY'
>>>          ~^^~

Dear Dan,

I have checked the Worg page you updated and tried your example. It works! The
ans variable is the secret! Thanks a lot. I suggest org should provide some
examples in its user's guide, not only on the topic of Babel but also Table,
Hyperlink, Picture, and etc.

-----------------------------

address@hidden

      _.,----,._