[Orgmode] Exporting property values to LaTeX

From: Scot Becker
Subject: [Orgmode] Exporting property values to LaTeX
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 12:42:35 +0100

SHORT VERSION:

Can someone tell me how I might be able to get a property value exported to LaTeX?  Here's what I want to do:  I my reading and research notes in org-mode.  I'd like to print them out to manipulate them manually before I use them.  (Think: olde time 3 x 5 index cards, though I'll do it on A5 size paper).  I'd like to define an inherited property in my org outline containing my BibTeX key for the given book or journal article.  The idea is that all of the notes on that book inherit the property (I can do this already).  Then I want to export these notes to LaTeX and insert the value of the 'bibtexkey' property into a custom latex citation command for each exported node.  That way, when the notes are printed separate from each other, I have the bibliographic information on each note.

EXAMPLE:

---------------------------------
* Notes taken while reading: Smith, Some-Wild-Book
  :PROPERTIES:
  :bibkey:   smith2009somewild
  :END:

** The Problem

Smith starts with a scorching analysis of the problem:

#+BEGIN_QUOTE
As I see it, this chaos has all arisen because of... (29)
#+END_QUOTE

** The Solution

** Evaluation

Though Smith's audacity is unendurable, he does a few good points, including...

I'd like to end up with a LaTeX file which will will print the above as three separate (A5 size) pages. (I think I can do that).  But each note ("The Problem", "The Solution", "Evaluation") gets the value of the 'bibtexkey' property exported in the format:

\shortcite{<bibtexkey>}

immediately after the heading for that section.  I would do this with all child headings no matter at what level.  Then when I take notes on another item, its children inherit the correct value of 'bibtexkey' for it.

I think I have property inheritance worked out, and I reckon I can manage to get org to export the headings how I want them (with org-export-latex-classes), and I think I can mange to get LaTeX to lay it all out right (it's LaTeX, how hard could custom layout be? :-).

What I want is a way to tweak org's LaTeX exporter to export "\shortcite{ <value> }" after every heading, with the value of the 'bibtexkey' property inside it.

I suppose my question is: can anyone think of a way to do this without making a custom LaTeX exporter?  Does the idea of exporting properties for use in LaTeX output have enough value to warrant more general solution, for example allowing placeholders for optional property values in (for example) 'org-export-latex-classes'?  Like this:

 ("\\section{%s}" . "\\section*{%s}\n\n\\shortcite{[[bibtexkey]]}")

Scot