Re: [Orgmode] Re: Org now fontifies code blocks

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Org now fontifies code blocks
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 16:22:40 +0200

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 3:43 PM, Dan Davison <address@hidden> wrote:
> "David O'Toole" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I agree Bastien :)
>
> I agree too, but note that what we are agreeing to is a conditional
> statement...
>

>> On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 2:30 PM, Bastien <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> If setting org-src-fontify-natively to `t' by default triggers a debate
>>> on whether we need to set org-warn-when-editing-src-block-in-org-buffer
>
> I don't think it is clear that there is such a debate.
>
> But I do think we are gravitating towards turning it off, if it is
> causing noticeable slowness on startup. So unless there are more voices
> in favour of keeping it turned on for new users then I'll turn it off
> later today.

Just to add to this:  After trying it more, I see another reason why
it would be good
to have it turned off by default.  Fontification gives meaning to pieces
of text, and that meaning is different in different major modes.  So
this is watering
down the meaning of org-mode syntax font locking.  So it is good for experts,
but confusing for newbies.  So my vote goes to off.

I *do* like the idea mentioned earlier to use a different background
when fontification is turned on.  Just a slight grey instead of white,
for example.  That would help distinguish things in export mode.

- Carsten