[Orgmode] Re: [babel] ledger tutorial on Worg

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: [babel] ledger tutorial on Worg
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2010 22:49:09 +0200

Hi Eric,

"Eric Schulte" wrote:
> Sébastien Vauban <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi Eric(s),
>>

> Hi Seb,
>
> [...]
>>
>> 1. I find it weird to have all the parameters of =:cmdline= not enclosed
>>    between quotes. What should be the best option, here?  That was a subject,
>>    long ago, on Org-Babel: to quote or not to quote...
>>

> I don't know that this was ever explicitly discussed, I believe that the
> no-quoting behavior may have simply fallen out of the initial
> implementation.  I'd certainly like to hear other people's opinions on
> this, but I've personally enjoyed not having to place quotes in every
> instance.

In december 2009, I wrote:

    "I'm a bit confused (as you may have seen in my last posts) about when we
    do have to quote strings and when we do have to avoid doing it. Would you
    have a one-liner explanation about when we have to use quotes?"

See http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg20265.html for
contextual information.

I remembered "you" (Dan or you) answered it somehow, but it must have been
(around that same period) in another thread. Though, I don't find pointers
anymore...

Question is more: is it clear to mix parameters names (such as =:cmdline=) and
long values which are unquoted (such as =registry unknown credit-card= and
many much more options)?

Shouldn't we properly begin and end where the given value is?

>> 2. When the evaluation produces no output, but had well produced output
>>    before, shouldn't Babel have to delete the previously written results in
>>    the Org buffer?
>
> This is a good point. Currently Babel just quits if it receives a nil
> result, but I think you're right that we should replace existing results
> when a nil result has been returned. I'll add this as PROPOSED to the babel
> task list.

I consider this kind of mandatory, for the sake of coherency, and to really
make use of Org-babel every time I want to run some shell commands (and change
them, eventually getting no results then).

Thanks a lot for everything you did and do for us.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban