Re: [Orgmode] Backspacing into folded items

From: Martin Pohlack
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Backspacing into folded items
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2010 10:06:38 +0200

Hi Bastien

On 03.09.2010 02:02, Bastien wrote:
Hi Martin,

Martin Pohlack<address@hidden>  writes:

* You could add a modification hook to all hidden areas to unfold them
   on modification, or
* You could set the read-only property for all hidden areas.  This could
   be setup at the same location where hiding is done.

I'm interested in testing both solutions, as I often delete hidden text
by accident as well.

Can you give more details on how to set this up?

These were just quick ideas, I have no working code here.

Let me quickly draft something up:
* If you want to go for the modification hook:
  You could do something very similar to what I did here:
  http://patchwork.newartisans.com/patch/31/

  You would have to find all places again where the hidden property is
  set.  There you would also add the modification hook.

  The hook would be the place to remove the hidden property again.
  You might have to have some policy in there, for example, to only
  uncover a single headline at a time etc.  I am not sure if hidden
  areas are merged and at what granularity the property is set.

  Later, you might stumble upon code that tries to modify in hidden
  areas under the hood and you don't want all the text to be uncovered
  by such actions.  You should then "bind inhibit-modification-hooks"
  in these functions.

* If you want to go for the read-only property:
  You would have to find all places where the hidden property for
  regions is set or unset and also set or unset the read-only
  property there.

  In theory.

  There may exist code that wants to modify text blocks that are
  hidden.  In this code, you would have to temporarily remove the
  read-only property (not sure if there is a way to override it).

  You may also get into trouble modifying text directly next to a
  read-only area because of stickiness

(http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/elisp/html_node/Sticky-Properties.html#Sticky-Properties).
  I just found this in the manual, not sure if this is a problem in
  practice.

HTH,
Martin