Re: [Orgmode] Problem with URLs in export to latex

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Problem with URLs in export to latex
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2010 00:03:20 -0400

Paul Sexton <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> My .org document contains the following sentence.
>
> In R, procedures in the =survey= library were
> used\footnote{Available at: http://faculty.washington.edu/tlumley/survey/}.
>
> This is exported to:
>
> In R, procedures in the \texttt{survey} library were
> used\footnote{Available at: [[http://faculty.washington.edu/tlumley/survey/]
> [http://faculty.washington.edu/tlumley/survey/]]}.
>
> As you can see, the URL gets exported as an [[org link]], meaningless
> outside org.
>
> The same thing happens with \footnote{Available at: \url{...}}
>
> Do I have things configured wrong, or is this a bug?

Neither, I think. You can quote the URL like this:

In R, procedures in the =survey= library were
used\footnote{Available at:
#+BEGIN_LaTeX
http://faculty.washington.edu/tlumley/survey/
#+END_LaTeX
}.

although  it *is* better to use the \url macro, so that hyperref will do its
thing:

In R, procedures in the =survey= library were
used\footnote{Available at:
#+BEGIN_LaTeX
\url{http://faculty.washington.edu/tlumley/survey/}
#+END_LaTeX
}.

But why not let org handle the footnote for you?

In R, procedures in the =survey= library were
used[fn:1].

* Footnotes

[fn:1] Available at: http://faculty.washington.edu/tlumley/survey/

This has the advantage that it works when exported to HTML as well.
Section 2.10, "Footnotes", of the manual describes how to enter/use
footnotes like this.

HTH,
Nick