Re: [Orgmode] how difficultwould it be to support zotero in org?

From: Matt Price
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] how difficultwould it be to support zotero in org?
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 19:18:57 -0400

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 5:58 PM, Christian Moe <address@hidden> wrote:
On 9/2/10 9:45 PM, David Maus wrote:

Well... Providing an Elisp interface to Zotero is on my "Someday,
Maybe" list and at least there is a successful attempt to talk to
Zotero using MozRepl[1] (after I've discovered that Zotero's SOAP
interface was abandoned).

So much for the sleepless nights I spent eavesdropping on OpenOffice's SOAP chats with Zotero for the Zotero interface I meant to do in Perl but never finished.

That MozRepl script you linked to looks a lot more fun.

With regards to citations I started to think about[2] writing a
processor for the Citation Style Language (CSL)[3] in Elisp.

Yes, wouldn't that be cool?
ditto on that.

But in the medium term, I'd just like to get from A to B:

A. Get references from Zotero into Org notes. (This I do, currently by exporting Zotero to BibTex, and use RefTex to add the citekeys in custom "cite:" links. This also allows me to style the bibliography with BibTex on LaTeX export.)
this is certainly something I'd like to do.  But i have the problem that (1) I don't really know how to use latex, and was trying to avoid what now seems like the necessary task of learning how to use it; and (2) in my field (history) latex and bibtex are both pretty problematic as export formats.  Bibtex doesn't support most humanistic citation styles (and has a rigid type strcture which doesn't accommodate things like archival materials very well; while latex is neither an acceptable submission format for most journals, nor a good formation for collaboration with other scholars (since everyone else writes in MS Word).  This means that what I really need is a more robust open-document exporter; but that's been giving me problem after problem lately (for instance, mk4ht has stopped exporting some of my most important documents, for reasons I don't understand but might be related to org-mode's latex exporter.  I have this notion I saw a generic exporter that someone wrote for odt, in which you feed the exporter a template document which ocntains all the relevant style definitions.  but I can't find it anymore, and as I recall it didn't really seem to work very well anyway.

B. Use Zotero's citeproc to process the references in my Org document and (re)format the bibliography to a given style, much as one can do e.g. in OpenOffice.

That would be really great.   Alternatively maybe one could keep the zotero links in the document and allow the native latex or openoffice trnaslators interpret the references themselves.

anyway I'd be incredibly stoked if someone figured this out better.

matt

Cheers,
CM