Re: [Orgmode] gnash crunch... latex whitespace defaults! + numbering in

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] gnash crunch... latex whitespace defaults! + numbering in only some subheadings
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 01:18:32 -0400

Matt Price <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm pretty sure I had this answered once already but I can't find the
> reference!  sorry to ask again.  I have two issues right now as I try rather
> deperately to print something reasonable-looking for my course syllabus (the
> html version is lovely).
>
> 1) what is te recommended or canonical way to reduce whitespace, not only in
> the margins, but especially between paragraphs?  In particular, I use a lot
> of lists and subheadings; latex puts enormous emounts of whatespace between
> items, and very quickly the syllabus becomes difficult to navigate.  It
> would be great for me if I could make these settings default, too -- I would
> much rather have my paper copies look more word-processor-ish, to ocnform
> iwth expectations in my discipline (history).

This can be done using the enumitem LaTeX package:

#+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{enumitem}
#+LaTeX: \setitemize{itemsep=0pt, parsep=0pt}

* list
This is a list

  - a

  - b

  - c

  - d

  - e

The \setitemize above is equivalent to

#+LaTeX: \setitemize{noitemsep}

You might also try

#+LaTeX: \setitemize{nolistsep}

which eliminates all vertical space.

On Ubuntu/Debian, the enumitem package is part of texlive-latex-extra
and the documentation is in texline-latex-extra-docs.

> 2) is it possible to turn numbering off for most headings, but to turn them
> on wihtin a specific heading?  In my case, I would like to number _only_ the
> weeks in my course outline, but leave all other elements (course
> requirements, texts, introduction, etc) unnumbered.  I bet it's possible but
> it's not trivial to find this in the extensive manual.

You can turn off section numbering by using

but I don't know if it's possible to then turn it back on within some sectioning
unit. But iiuc, you could do this and then use an enumerated list for the weeks
-
something like this perhaps:

#+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{enumitem}
#+LaTeX: \setitemize{nolistsep}
#+LaTeX: \setenumerate{label=Week \theenumi, itemsep=0pt, parsep=0pt}

* list
This is a list

  - a
  - b