[Orgmode] Re: Feature-request & documentation request for org-datetree

From: Richard Riley
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Feature-request & documentation request for org-datetree
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 14:56:14 +0200

"Tim O'Callaghan" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I've been poking about trying to understand org-date tree, as It is
> essentially an undocumented feature at the moment. am i right in my
> understanding that it is only meant as a refile-target structure?
>
> The feature request is to allow the use of ISO week numbers to
> structure the year rather than Months.
>
> so a structure something like:
> * 2010
> *** 2010-W35
> ***** 2010-08-30 Monday
> ***** 2010-08-31 Tuesday
> ***** 2010-09-01 Wednesday
> ***** 2010-09-02 Thursday
> ***** 2010-08-03 Friday
> ***** 2010-08-04 Saturday
> ***** 2010-08-05 Sunday
>
> The week heading is based on the ISO representation,
> (http://www.iso.org/iso/date_and_time_format) though i guess some
> variant on the ISO week heading might look  be better.
>
> what other use can it be used for? how are other people using it?

For me its one of the best features since I use org as a journal for
pretty much everything. My org-capture-templates entry for my journal
creation (also my org-protocol-default-template-key) is

 ("j" "Journal" entry
  (file+datetree "journal.org")

So bottom line is, I use it for direct filing and not just a refile
target. A super feature. The %T meaning of course in my agenda I see the
date and time a journal item is added "in place" even if I then
reschedule it and refile it at a later date.