[Orgmode] Re: org-mode on Nokia n800 - Was: Re: OT: orgmode on my palm T

From: Olivier Berger
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: org-mode on Nokia n800 - Was: Re: OT: orgmode on my palm TX?
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 18:11:40 +0200

Hi.

Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 10:46:23 +0200, Olivier Berger <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Are there packages for nokia n800 running OS 2008 ? I happen to have one
>> such device that could very well be used for this instead of collection
>> dust ;)
>>
>> I've found a package for emacs 22
>> (http://danielsz.freeshell.org/code/mine/emacs-for-maemo/index.shtml)
>> but that all seems old and requires dependencies on unabailable packages
>> (libxaw).
>
> These are a few links I collected when I got my n800:
>

> *** nokia n800 emacs links                                          :nokia:
>
>     - emacs on maemo ::
> http://danielsz.freeshell.org/code/mine/emacs-for-maemo/index.shtml
>
>     - installation of emacs22 ::
> http://djcbflux.blogspot.com/2008/02/waiting-for-22.html
>
>     - list of repositories ::
> http://www.gronmayer.com/it/index.php?lang=en&system=maemo4&sort=hits&show_pck=256
>
>     [2009-06-28 Sun 16:27]

SNIP

> I found the N800 very usable with emacs, especially for capturing org
> notes, but eventually wanted an actual keyboard for using email
> (wanderlust in Emacs) so I got an N810 as well.

SNIP

> Hope this helps!

Thanks for these links.

After some search and experimenting with emacs maemo packages, I was a
bit frustrated, all being quite old, and some problems not well
documented, as on how to use some virtual keyboard apps, etc.

I finally noticed some "Easy Debian" [0] mentions in some forum posts, and
it seems this may offer an interesting solution to run Debian packages
of recent emacs and org-mode (and even git for sync-ing my notes) over
the n800 maemo system (chrooted). I'm testing / tuning it at the moment.

 [0] http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/easy-deb-chroot/

Hope this will be a good mobile org-mode device setup.

Best regards,
--
Olivier BERGER <address@hidden> - OpenPGP: 5819D7E8
Ingénieur Recherche - Dept INF - T&MSP (http://www.it-sudparis.eu)