[Orgmode] Re: [Ann] Updates to org-drill (org topics as interactive &quo

From: Paul Sexton
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: [Ann] Updates to org-drill (org topics as interactive " flashcards" using spaced repetition)
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 00:39:48 +0000 (UTC)

Detlef Steuer <detlef.steuer <at> gmx.de> writes:
> What is the intended way to input a few hundred two-sided
> cards?
>
> If I understand spanish.org correctly I need a headline like
>
> *** Noun                                             :drill:
>     :PROPERTIES:
>     :DRILL_CARD_TYPE: twosided
>     :END:
>
> and subheadings
> **** Language1
>      text
>
> **** Language2
>      text
>
> for each and every word?
> Or is there a way to have one such headline followed by a lot of
> pairs of text for both languages?
>
> Detlef

Hi Detlef
Your example card layout is correct. Note you can add other sections such
as "Examples" as well -- any headings after the first 2 are always hidden
during review.

What I suggest is to enter your cards in an easy, regular format such as
tab-delimited, or even into a spreadsheet and then export to a tab-delimited
or comma-delimited text file. Then use query-replace-regexp (C-M-%) to turn
them into drill items as in your example.

eg: if your file contains:

el perro<tab>the dog<newline>
el gato<tab>the cat<newline>

replace newlines with "^J***Noun^J****Language1^J"
replace TABs with "^J****Language2^J"
replace "*** Noun^J" with "*** Noun^J:PROPERTIES:^J......^J"
(where ^J is the newline character, entered by pressing C-q C-j)

There is no special way to "import" such a file into org, as far as I
am aware. FWIW I followed a very similar process to the above yesterday
with 450 cards exported from Anki, and it worked well.

For entry of more words "as you learn", I very strongly suggest setting
up an org capture template.

Paul