Re: [Orgmode] Backspacing into folded items

From: Martin Pohlack
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Backspacing into folded items
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 00:28:02 +0200

Hi David,

On 25.08.2010 11:22, David Abrahams wrote:
> I've gotten myself in trouble several times today by backspacing after
> an org-link that ends a headline.  That's a typical pattern for
> editing an org-link, right?  Well it turns out that if the item is
> folded, then the backspace writes over the end of the un-folded item
> but **appears to have no effect**, and you can easily hit backspace
> several times to test your sanity before you realize that something is
> wrong, badly corrupting your file.

I have had similar such accidents, but not involving links.  You
probably backspaced into the "..."?

> Seems to me that attempts to edit a folded item should either:
>
> a) restrict changes to the item's headline, or
> b) unfold the item and do nothing
>
> Is there a way to set that up?

Just two quick ideas from me here:
* You could add a modification hook to all hidden areas to unfold them
  on modification, or
* You could set the read-only property for all hidden areas.  This could
  be setup at the same location where hiding is done.

See also here:
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/elisp/html_node/Special-Properties.html#Special-Properties

I proposed a patch for image overlay which show a related problem here:
http://patchwork.newartisans.com/patch/31/

Cheers,
Martin