Re: [Orgmode] Request for opinions: [ANN] List improvement v.2o

From: Christian Moe
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Request for opinions: [ANN] List improvement v.2o
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 09:38:46 +0200

Carsten Dominik wrote:

2. Some existing documents will break because we now need an end-of-list
  that is clearly defined, and not by indentation.  Nicolas proposes a
double empty line or some special string to be defined. Breaking existing
  documents is always bad, of cause.  I still hope we can do something
  about this if we think really hard, like making text that is less
  indented than the list *also* terminate a list.

+1

Ending lists by indentation most closely resembles how one would end a list in ordinary typed prose (with a single blank line before a following paragraph, not two, certainly not with an end-of-list symbol). Since Org is currently capable of understanding this "natural" syntax, the change would be a real step backwards.

Speaking for myself I know it would break a *lot* of my stuff.

Otherwise, Nicolas Goaziou's changes look nice. I hope a way can be found to have it both ways.

Yours,
Christian