[Orgmode] Re: row and col spaning in table?

From: Srinivas
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: row and col spaning in table?
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 23:51:14 +0000 (UTC)

Carsten,

As a follow up to Tak's response, this points to a potential bug in org-mode
when converting tables from org-mode table to table.el table:

* Org Mode Table

| Header 1 | Header 2 |
| R1 C1-2             |
| R2 C1    | R2-3 C2  |
| R3 C1    |          |

* Org Mode Table converted to table.el table using C-c ~
+----------+----------+
| Header 1 | Header 2 |
+----------+----------+
| R1 C1-2             |
+---------------------+
| R2 C1    | R2-3 C2  |
+----------+----------+
| R3 C1    |          |
+----------+----------+

The second table is a result of hitting C-c ~ on the first table. Notice there
is no '+' at the intersection at R1 C1-2, R2 C1 and R2-3 C2

It should be:

+----------+----------+
| R1 C1-2             |
+----------+----------+
| R2 C1    | R2-3 C2  |
+----------+----------+
| R3 C1    |          |
+----------+----------+

Even after fixing the '+', the output is not the same as the one produced by
table.el. Since I don't know quite how to debug in Emacs, I can only go by the
produced output.

Table.el produces the following for the corrected table:

Input:
+----------+----------+
| Header 1 | Header 2 |
+----------+----------+
| R1 C1-2             |
+----------+----------+
| R2 C1    | R2-3 C2  |
+----------+          |
| R3 C1    |          |
+----------+----------+

Table.el - table-generate-source (html) output:

  <caption>Table</caption>
       Header 1
       Header 2
       R1 C1-2
       R2 C1
       R2-3 C2  <br />

       R3 C1

Orgmode output:

I know this is probably not a high priority issue/bug but I am posting the
information here for completeness.

Thanks again for you all your feedback.
- Srinivas