[Orgmode] Re: Tip: How to copy&paste a table from Firefox to Org

From: Jan Böcker
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Tip: How to copy&paste a table from Firefox to Org
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 07:28:48 +0200

On 08/11/2010 03:42 AM, Bernt Hansen wrote:
> Jan Böcker <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> posting in case this is useful to someone else:
>>
>> I just figured out how to copy & paste tabular data from Firefox to an
>> Org buffer (in my case: a train schedule from www.bahn.de).
>>
>> - Select data in Firefox
>> - Paste into Org, select it as the region
>> - M-x replace-regexp <RET> C-i \ | ^ <RET> | <RET>
>>
>>   C-i inserts a tab character (you can also use C-q <TAB> instead).
>>   We replace each beginning of a line and each tab character with "|".
>>
>> - Place the cursor on the table and press C-c C-c to align it
>
> Isn't this the same as
>
>   - Select data in Firefox
>   - Paste into Org.
>   - C-x C-x (select it as the region)
>   - M-x org-table-convert-region
>
> ?
>
> -Bernt

Yes, it is.
I should read the manual more often to discover cool features like that!

Btw, org-table-convert-region is also bound to C-c |, which would make
the steps:

- select data in firefox
- C-y  C-x C-x  C-c |

Thanks a lot, Bernt! You see, that's the other reason I posted: I knew
if I had overlooked a much faster way, someone would point it out to me :)

- Jan