Re: [Orgmode] text color + highlight

From: Christian Moe
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] text color + highlight
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 01:02:09 +0200

I wrote (against my own suggestion):
A drawback with using links for markup is that the user sees things that
look like links, but do nothing when clicked, except give error messages.

David Maus wrote:
It's not just a drawback but a more fundamental problem: This solution
abolishes the semantics of a fundamental entity, the link.  color:red
/means/ something completely different than info:elisp.

I certainly see that objection. I don't have a strong opinion, I just hit on the idea of using custom links as a quick hack to do some inline semantic tagging I wanted, then thought it might be worth considering in the present discussion, as an alternative to complex new syntaxes.

Quibble: Note that =info:elisp= also means something rather different from =shell: ls *org=, =elisp: org-agenda=, or =elisp:(find-file-other-frame "Elisp.org")=.

Okay, so Org-babel might put these link types out of business (and anyway they unfailingly crash my Emacs 23 for the Mac). But currently they /are/ defined as Org links, even though "execute this code" does not mean "follow this link". So the double-bracket syntax seems to have a broader meaning.

Admittedly, though, all the currently defined link types mean "do something when clicked", which a =color:red= link does not.

Christian