Re: [Orgmode] Re: Email from org?

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Email from org?
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 09:44:26 -0600

Hi Ethan,

Ethan Ligon <address@hidden> writes:

> Eric Schulte <schulte.eric <at> gmail.com> writes:
>> The following function might get part way towards what you describe.

>> (defun org-send-email-of-headline ()
>>   (interactive)
>>   (let ((subject (org-get-heading t))
>>         (to (org-entry-get (point) "mailto")))
>>     (outline-mark-subtree)
>>     (org-mime-org-buffer-htmlize)
>>     (save-excursion
>>       (message-goto-to) (insert to)
>>       (message-goto-subject) (insert subject))))
>>

> Indeed!  This gets me very close to what I had in mind.  Aside from
> saying thanks, I have two related things to say:
>
> 1) The code snippet above (really org-mime-org-buffer-htmlize)
> produces output which is either designed to be further processed by
> the mml library (mml-generate-mime) for gnus users or by the semi
> library for wanderlust users.  Thus, the buffer resulting from the
> above code-snippet is still one step away from being something one
> could feed to smtpmail, and makes the output one needs to get from
> org-mime dependent on an MUA (gnus or wanderlust).

I personally like this final step of review before sending an email.

As for requiring that the user has an mailer with which to send the
email, it would be possible to change `org-mime-org-buffer-htmlize' to
use `reporter-submit-bug-report' to send the email directly instead of
using `reporter-compose-outgoing' which only prepares the email buffer.

I'm not sure of how to do this while still allowing the existing
behavior for those who do use Emacs for email.  Also, I find the idea of
having a key command send an email from an Org-mode buffer without any
form of confirmation terrifying. :)

> 2) I don't see the reason for this dependence.  Forget what mail
> client the user prefers, whether gnus or wanderlust or something else.
> Why not just feed the output of org-mime to a scratch buffer, run
> (mml-generate-mime) on that, stick the output in a message buffer,
> build a header, and then run smtpmail-send-it?

for example, I sometimes like to add a Gcc: header argument to an
outgoing email so that a copy is saved in one of my mail groups.

> 3) Okay, I see one reason for the dependence: I guess that mml isn't
> part of the base emacs distribution.

Yes, I suppose mml is part of gnus, but as gnus is distributed along
with Emacs this may be something whose availability can be assumed.

> 4) And I see another reason: if one wanted to edit the htmlized buffer
> it might be a little more convenient to work with the semi or mml
> representations instead of the mime.

yes

> But (3) and (4) seem weak to me.  What am I missing?

My biggest motivation is presented after (1) above.

Best -- Eric