Re: [Orgmode] why not auto-renumbering list ?

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] why not auto-renumbering list ?
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 08:56:03 +0200

Hi Nicolas,

On Aug 7, 2010, at 2:41 PM, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:

Hello,

I'm still into lists,

First, my apologies that I have so far not found the time to test your
improved list implementation.  I think this is a far-reaching change,
which is why it needs careful testing before we apply it.
I really hope to get to this soon.

Have you had any testing feedback from anyone else so far?
Have you tested it in all the export backends?

and I'm wondering about the global usefulness of
`org-auto-renumber-ordered-lists', provided that:

- it isn't noticeably slower to renumber and fix a list than to simply
 fix its indentation;
- you can use address@hidden:num] to enforce a special numbering;
- some actions on a list will renumber it whatever the value of this
 variable is.

So, I'd like to hear about other users. Do you set this variable to
nil? If so, what is your use case?

I don't think anyone sets this to nil.  But there is a use case for
this, if someone wants some strange specific numbering,
then it might be useful to allow turning it off.  There is no harm
in having this possibility.

If there's a need for decreasing numbers or numbers increasing by more
than one, I could add address@hidden:num] and address@hidden:num,@step:num] as
possibilities, but it looks a bit overkill to me.

To me as well.

Anyway, the idea behind this would be to:

- remove `org-maybe-renumber-ordered-list',
- remove `org-maybe-renumber-ordered-list-safe',
- remove this variable,
- rename `org-fix-bullet-type' to `org-fix-bullet',
- call `org-fix-bullet' unconditionally when acting on a list instead
 of having to decide if the function should renumber or simply fix
 indentation.

While this sounds reasonable - it also unnecessary to me.
Why fix something that works?

- Carsten