Re: [Orgmode] text color + highlight

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] text color + highlight
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2010 15:00:50 -0600

Vinh Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 8:15 PM, Eric Schulte <address@hidden> wrote:
>> In playing with the patched code I sent out, I noticed that it may be
>> doing weird things to my headings (#+Title: etc...) in some Org-mode
>> files, so probably it could use some more tweaking before any merge,
>> also I'd not want to rush what could be a reasonably large change into
>> Org-mode without more discussion, but I agree I'd ultimately like to see
>> some form of this functionality appear in Org-mode.
>>
>> Best -- Eric
>
> Eric, so are you tweaking the code to give it a more org-like syntax?
> If not, I'll have to get dirty with your patch to figure out the lisp
> code.
>
> You're right the regular parentheses will probably be mixed up with
> lisp code.  Sebastian also brought up that curly braces are hard to
> type on a German keyboard.  Just googled up the layout -- don't even
> seen them.
>
> What syntax to use...

I've thought briefly about the following syntax

 [color[red] text to be colored red]

- this would be extensible, e.g.

  [background[yellow] highlighted text]

  could export to the following html

- this would avoid "{}"s

- this would look more "org-like" than the pure latex solution

the only issue with the above is that it may conflate a new /markup/
syntax with org-mode's existing /link/ syntax.

Thoughts? -- Eric