Re: [Orgmode] text color + highlight

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] text color + highlight
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2010 23:15:55 -0400

Hi Vinh,

Vinh Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

> Thanks Eric, this works.

Great,

> I do agree that the implemented syntax is not org-like but more
> latex-like.  To be more org-like, could we use parentheses or curly
> braces like how links are implemented?  They aren't taken, are they?
> For example,
>
> ((red)(this text is red))
> {{yellow}{this text is highlighted yellow}} ## see
> http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080316135432AANXSJc

yes, these would be equally easy to implement, and simpler than with the
\color prefix, but as someone who often leaves lisp snippets laying
around org-mode files, these options may be too dangerous.  We'd have to
ensure that the syntax doesn't accidentally grab text which is not
intended for formatting.

also, color gives the option of other keyword attributes which we may
want to associate with text, e.g. "background" for background coloring
(highlighting), "font-type" for possibly different fonts, etc...

but again, I'm reticent to commit to any particular format, as Org-mode
does a good job of feeling consistent, and I'd not want to hurt that
consistency.

> What do you think?  How hard would it be to change your code to this?
> Can this be merged into the development branch?

In playing with the patched code I sent out, I noticed that it may be
doing weird things to my headings (#+Title: etc...) in some Org-mode
files, so probably it could use some more tweaking before any merge,
also I'd not want to rush what could be a reasonably large change into
Org-mode without more discussion, but I agree I'd ultimately like to see
some form of this functionality appear in Org-mode.

Best -- Eric