Re: [Orgmode] Help installing org-mode on a MAC please?

From: Juan
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Help installing org-mode on a MAC please?
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 11:04:49 -0300

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 03:37:29PM +0200, Erwin Panen wrote:
> Now I copied over my .emacs config file from my winXP box to my Mac.
> Of course this is a lot different if only for the path and
> pathstructure.

In order to have the same .emacs both in mac & linux, I use the
following contitionals in several places in my .emacs:

8<------------------------------------------------------------

;;;;  MAC ONLY MAC ONLY ------------------------------
(when (eq system-type 'darwin)
  (set-exec-path-from-shell-PATH)
  (add-to-list 'exec-path "/Users/jips/bin" )

  ;; MAC ONLY: locate -> mdfind (spotlight)
  (setq locate-command "mdfind")

  ;; command-` to switch frames
  (global-set-key [?\M-`] 'other-frame) ;  # This sets the key binding

  (setq mac-option-key-is-meta nil)
  (setq mac-command-key-is-meta t)
  (setq mac-command-modifier 'meta)
  (setq mac-option-modifier nil)

  ;; JABBER
  (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs_stuff/emacs-jabber-0.8.0")
  (require 'jabber-autoloads)
)

8<------------------------------------------------------------

You may find appropriate tests for your winXP, etc.

> Now I seem to find e.g. that emacsformacosx is incomplete (if I'm correct).
> I don't find any bbdb nor the typical lisp folder....
> (GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.29 of
> 2010-05-09 on black.local)

Maybe the above (setq mac... statements help with getting the correct
behaviour for Command and Option(Alt).

> I also suffer from keyboard shortcut difficulties. (I'm on azerty /
> laptop keyb)

Ugh! Fortunately I live 11000km away from AZERTY keyboards.

I use both english and spanish keyboard layouts. The Alt key works OK
for special keys (accents, etc.).

> I'm totally unable to get square brackets on my Mac. I can type them
> in other applications, but not in Emacs.
> Do you know of a way around this?

A +
.j.