Re: [Orgmode] firefox problem with org-protocol

From: Daniel Goldin
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] firefox problem with org-protocol
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 09:00:38 -0700

Below are the relevant instructions, with the correct changes. I
modified instructions from this link:
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/The+protocol+is+not+associated+with+any+program

Register the protocol in Firefox

Firefox gets its protocol information from its hidden settings.

   1. In the Location bar, type about:config and press EnterReturn.  *
   The about:config "This might void your warranty!" warning page may
   appear. Click I'll be careful, I promise!, to continue to the
   about:config page.

   2. Right-click anywhere in the grid, choose New, then String.

   3. In the Enter the preference name prompt, type in
   "network.protocol-handler.app.org-protocol" and press OK.

   4. In the Enter string value prompt, type "emacsclient" and press
   OK.

Now that the protocol has been registered, try the link again. You may
get an External Protocol Request dialog. Click Launch Application. The
program you chose should now start.

    * Make sure that the path you put in the preference is
      correct. Due to a bug in Firefox, entering an incorrect path
      will give you the same error message.

Hope this helps,

d.

Excerpts from Daniel Martins's message of Tue Jul 27 07:56:49 -0700 2010: