Re: [Orgmode] [babel] help debugging org-babel-execute-buffer

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [babel] help debugging org-babel-execute-buffer
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 00:41:00 -0400

Austin Frank <address@hidden> wrote:

> I have a document that always throws an error when I call
> org-babel-execute-buffer.  I'd guess that there's one particular block
> that is to blame, but I can't tell which block babel is in at the point
> when the error is thrown.
>
> The error is:
>
> #v+
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (invalid-function org-save-outline-visibility)
>   org-save-outline-visibility(t 1 nil nil)
>   org-babel-execute-buffer(nil)
>   call-interactively(org-babel-execute-buffer nil nil)
> #v-
>
> Looking at the macro for org-save-outline-visibility, I think the
> problem has to do with the last two arguments being passed in as nil
> nil.  I don't, however, know how this is happening.
>
> I know that I probably haven't given enough information to actually
> diagnose this bug.  Can anyone give me a hand on what my next debugging
> step should be for this problem?

Have you tried C-c C-c on each source block in the buffer? If one (or more)
fails, you know what to do.

If they all work fine, then I'd do a binary chop to get a minimal
example.  Then edebug org-babel-execute-buffer on the minimal example
(if the macro causes problems with edebug, define a new function,
org-babel-execute-buffer-do-not-save-outline-visibility, which does not
invoke the macro and debug that: if that works, then there is probably
some funky interaction with the macro.) In each iteration of the loop,
record the beginning of the match and the end of the match: that'll tell
you which block is being executed.

The simplest solution of course is to send the whole thing to Eric

HTH,
Nick

[1] http://www.snopes.com/college/exam/barometer.asp