Re: [Orgmode] Re: Finding old appointments

From: David Maus
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Finding old appointments
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 11:54:27 +0200

Tassilo Horn wrote:
>Matt Lundin <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Well, basically I'm just looking for a search facility that shows me
>>> an agenda view with all entries that contain only timestamps before
>>> today and no pending todos, so that I can use the agenda commands to
>>> act on them.  Some will be deleted, others archived.
>>
>> Here's an example of an agenda view that would bring up all old,
>> active timestamps marked DONE:
>>
>> C-c a m [RET] TIMESTAMP<"<today>"+TODO="DONE"

>Oh, nice.  I've never use this search, but it is very useful.  Simply by
>searching for a timestamp before today does already help me.

>Additionally, playing around with it helped me being even more
>specific.  So what I want to get is an agenda with

>  - headlines that contain only past timestamps and are closed TODOs (if
>    they are TODOs), that is, any TODO state after the | in
>    `org-todo-keywords'

>  - the same applies to all children of that entry, recursively

This is quite simple: The function returns non-nil if an entry is
active (recursion \o/):

(defun dmj/org-entry-is-active-p ()
  "Return non-nil if entry is active.
An entry is considered to be active if it has an active timestamp
in the future or an open TODO keyword or at least one active child."
  (save-excursion
    (beginning-of-line)
    (let ((children (delq nil (org-map-entries
                               'dmj/org-entry-is-active-p
                               (format "LEVEL>%d" (org-outline-level))
                               'tree)))
          (timestamp (org-entry-get nil "TIMESTAMP")))
      (or (org-entry-is-todo-p)
            children
            (and timestamp (time-less-p (current-time) (org-time-string-to-time
timestamp)))))))

>  - the agenda should only list the top-most entries for which these
>    properties hold

This is the tougher part: Because the state of an entry
(active/inactive) depends on its children the function that finally
displays the entries must first obtain the state of the entries and
their relationships and then remove all inactive entries whose
(grand,grand...)parents are inactive.

Sounds like you would require a a user-defined agenda function in
`org-agenda-custom-commands'.

HTH,
  -- David

--